Wednesday, June 12, 2013

First Letter from the MTC


Hola Familia!                                                                                                  6/12/13

This week has been one of the hardest yet most fulfilling weeks of my entire life. I was in a pretty good mood Wednesday which I think was the spirit, because once I sat down for the first fireside it really began to hit me that I was a missionary, and that I won't be able to see my loved ones for another two years! I was terrified. I then go into my first Spanish class and the teacher doesn't say a word of English, not a single word... So I'm pretty much freaking out, but I can tell you this, I have never felt my Savior's love for me more strongly than I did that day. It was a miracle. I felt peace, and comfort. And I know that he feels that way for me everyday.

So now what everyone cares about! My district is fantastic! We all get along very well and we are all of the elders are roommates, and we are all going to the Buenos Aires South Mission, so now I know that I am not the only one! My Companion is Elder Evans from Springfield Utah. He is a sports lover and actually throws for the SUU track team! The other elders in my district are Elder White and Elder Crowther! We all get along so well! We also have cuatro hermanas en our district. They are Hermana  Holmes, Atoa, Olson, and Durrant, and no she isn't related to Kevin Durant, bummer I know. We all have a fun time but work hard.

I see the Elder Burys a lot and I actually have a picture of them but I can't seem to get the pictures on the computer, I'm working on it! I am also sleeping on the same floor as Elder Staheli and see Elder Fitszpatrick (Russell), Elder Peery (Aaron), Elder Palmer (McKay), Elder Jenkins (Preston), Elder Merrill (Hayden), and Elder Marsh (Jordan) a lot. My district makes fun of me because I seem to know a lot of people!

Spanish is actually going extremely well! I will be eternally grateful for my mom making me take Spanish in High School, because I am sitting there thinking about what to say, and then it seems like random pieces of vocab and grammar pop into my head! Its Fantastic! We have already taught a fake investigator three times only using Spanish, the first time was a struggle, hard core, the other two actually weren't that bad! I feel like I can say what I need to, but not exactly all that I want to, but I am learning so much everyday!

Also, Everyday we are given Gym time! this is great, we can play basketball, soccer, volleyball, or just run! The only problem is that they don't allow dunking... dang it. But our zone usually plays something everyday and its like going to recess all over again.

Now to the spiritual side of things. Honestly speaking this has been one of the hardest weeks of my life, but I know that I have grown so much. On Sunday we listened to a talk by Elder Bednar that talked about how we needed to forget ourselves and get to work. It really hit me that this really isn't about me, but about the people I am serving. Sure, I will learn and grow immensely but I know that the most important part of the mission is to forget about yourself and be more like Christ.

I have received so much revelation about my life just here this first week. I think my Savior knows that when I have a clouded mind I don't focus so well. I received a letter from a great friend saying how miracles happen everyday, I just need to look for them. After reading that, I really do see miracles in my life. It is a true blessing. I now know that there really aren't any coincidences. I know that's hard to believe, but I promise you, that everything happens for a reason!

The work must go on, and I'm probably boring all of you to death. I really could write a novel of things that I have learned this week, but I only have an hour for emails! I will figure out a way to upload pictures soon! its hard because the MTC is kinda like a nice prison. No joke. But I'm sure I can find a way to get them up!

You can check this on google translate and check to see how I do!

Yo se que la iglesia de jesucristo de los santos de los ultimos dias es verdad, y yo se que Jose Smith es un profeta de dios, y jesucristo es mi Salvador. En el nombre de jesucristo Amen!

(I know that the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints is true, and I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and Jesus Christ is my Savior. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen!)

Until next week!

Elder Stephen Chipman

Also let me know what song this is!
No se' de tu', Estoy sentiendo veintidos, todas las cosas esta' bien cuando estoy con tu'
(no idea! hee hee :)
Rough I know, but I'm trying :)

No comments:

Post a Comment