Sunday, October 5, 2014

No toasters, bad milk, & dirty underwear

Hi Everyone!                                                               Oct. 4, 14

Wow, that was a great first session of conference that we had! I’m writing between sessions right now.  I didn’t know that they were going to have the foreign speakers speak in their native languages, so when President Eyring announced that someone was going to be speaking in Cantonese, it caught me by surprise, but I like it. It makes it fun to see the diversity in the church.

In other news, last Sunday, Rodrigo was confirmed a member of the church! And now begins his journey as a disciple of Christ. And I get to see him grow! As far as teaching goes, we have been doing a lot of finding, so it has been a little slower. But we know that there is someone waiting to be taught.

Honestly there isn’t a lot to write about this week. I had an interview with President this week, and he said that I will leave the office at the end of the transfer in two weeks, which is expected. It’s amazing how fast these transfers have passed by. It is a blessing to serve here and I will miss it. It’s been fun, and I have learned a lot about who I am and what I want to do. Plus it will help me work even harder the last little bit of my mission. 

It sounds like you are having a fun autumn trip in the mountains! It is weird hearing about changing leaves and pumpkins when leaves are sprouting and people are selling flowers preparing for Mother’s day (it happens in October in Argentina). So it’s hard to picture a fall day at home.   Some other quirky things about Argentina is that toasters don’t exist, and milk goes bad after 3 days of being in the fridge. Oh, and sometimes we have to wear underwear 3 days in a row because we wash our clothes by hand.  If we don’t have time, we got to wear something! Plus it takes about 2 days to dry in the humidity. Lastly, there are no Falkland Islands, they are the Malvinas. Argentina still can’t get over the fact that they lost that war, and so they plaster propaganda everywhere that the Malvinas are always Argentina’s. Let’s just say Argentina doesn’t like Great Britain very much.

Something that I learned this week is the role of the spirit in our lives. Being a confirmed member of the church, I have always been told that I have the gift of the Holy Ghost and its constant companionship. I always thought that I knew what that meant. But this week I was able to ask President Thurgood how we can differentiate our own thoughts and the impressions from the spirit. He told me that he is convinced that the grand majority of the uplifting, good promptings and thoughts that we receive in every day are from the spirit, because he really is our constant companion. If we really are worthy, we can trust that we will receive guidance in every aspect of our life. That’s why it truly is the greatest gift that we can receive in this world.

Anyway, thanks for all of your support! I love you all!  I’m sorry all of your flowers are dead from the hail storm. If I get a chance, I will take pictures of the flowers here because, well, they are still here!

Hope you have a good week!


Elder Chipman

No comments:

Post a Comment