Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The ability to change is a valuable gift. (pictures)

Hi Everybody!

It has been another great week! Nothing out of the ordinary though. We sent off 6 more missionaries, all heading to Houston except for one going to Tulsa. That means that my district is the Veteran district! It’s funny, because when people are only here for 6 weeks, you go through the ranks quickly. So I guess we're now the chiefs of the Greenies, which honestly means nothing. We get 12 new elders today, which should be fun! Everybody has been talking about how hot is has been, but since I barely see the sun, it don't seem to notice that much.

I guess something different that has happened is that I was made District Leader for the last 3 weeks of the MTC stay. My responsibilities are minimal, and honestly, by the time I will know what I'm supposed to do, I'll be on my way out of here. I honestly can't wait. Its not that sitting in a classroom for the majority of the day isn't exciting and all, its just that I know that when I get down to Buenos Aires, the dogs will speak better Spanish than I will, but I know that I will be in the right place. I still don't know if I have my visa, but I think I receive my travel plans either tomorrow or Freda, because it is the 4th of July. We might even get our re-assignments then, if none of us have our visas! It’s all speculation though.

Spanish is going really well, and I think that I will at least be able to say a couple of points in the lessons when I get down there. We had TRC yesterday, which is when we teach volunteer members of the church lessons or answer questions they have. I felt like I was able to say what I needed to say. Also, my favorite experience of the MTC was yesterday! We were teaching a woman in TRC who's grandson didn't want to go on a mission, and it really bugged her a lot. At first I didn't know what to say, so I sat there and prayed, and tried really hard to open my heart so I could help this woman. Then I started to speak, and it was like someone else took over my mouth. The spirit said things to her through me, and it really helped her out a lot. The spirit was so strong, and it humbled me even more, because I know that I don't have to do anything but open my mouth, and literally, the Lord will tell me what to say.

I continue to learn and grow everyday. It’s amazing how loving and forgiving our heavenly father is. My branch president gave an amazing lesson on the Atonement of Jesus Christ during priesthood meeting on Sunday. He explained how Christ suffered these things for all man. When he said that, I couldn't help but notice the word ALL. last time I checked, that included everything. So all of us have an opportunity to start again, be born again, and change. For me change is a scary topic. I like it when things stay the same, that's why going on a mission has been a major adjustment. But I 'm learning that through change, we learn so much more. The ability to change is a very valuable gift from our father in heaven, and we can access it through Christ's Atonement. I know that I change everyday, and its for the better.

I also learned more about the Book of Mormon. It truly is the word of God. The strength and guidance I recieve from that book is more than any other book. If you haven't read it, read it. I know that when you do, you will feel different, because its a different book. If you have read it, read it again, and pay attention to how you feel. The stories are great, but the messages are even better.

I guess I better go, but I love you all, and its only 2 more weeks till I'm in the field, at least, I hope so...

Gracias!

Love Elder Chipman

P.S Answer to last week: Somebody to Love- Queen (yes Megan, you got it!)
This week:  En el Nombre, de amor. Uno más en el nombre de amor!


Steve with his companion
Steve with Karyn
.

No comments:

Post a Comment