Monday, July 7, 2014

The World Cup is in full Swing!



Hola Todos!                                                                                        

It’s been good week here in Adrogué! The World Cup is still in full swing. In fact, it’s hard to have a conversation that is not about the world cup. We even have people using Messi (Argentine soccer star) to prove gospel principles during church classes. And during the games, there really is not much we can do outside of the office. The other day we tried to go and cash a check during one of the games.  We left for the bank and when we got there, it was closed. We looked through the glass doors, and all of the workers were crowded around a TV wearing their jerseys and drinking matte. Even the security guard! So we then decided to go pick up some cell phones from our distributor. We gave them our ticket number to start processing the order. After two minutes they  came back and informed us that the system was down, and it would probably be up again in about 30 minutes--which just happened to be the remaining time in the game. So we decided to go get an ice cream cone from McDonalds and just wait out the game. When we walk in we saw the whole staff was watching the game with all of the costumers, and they weren’t taking any orders! So we learned our lesson: Argentina Soccer Games are like holidays. Luckily I’m in the offices, because I think the other missionaries have even less to do during those times.

Argentina won again today so World Cup life is going to continue and everyone is pretty happy. I’m happy too, its fun to see people get so into sports. I do get to see, however, the importance of balance. While the craziness is fun, its fun because it’s a once in a lifetime experience, I don’t have to live with this craze forever. So I will enjoy it now, and then enjoy the simplicity of American Sports. And don’t worry; there have been many members who told us about the flopping Dutchman. He’s not a very popular guy right now, especially for the Mexicans serving in the mission.


Other than soccer, the work is still moving forward. One of the greatest moments of my mission happened this week. We are working with an inactive couple, who have actually gone to church the past two weeks in a row. When we passed by on Wednesday, both of them expressed to us the goal that they now have to be sealed in the temple. They know it’s what they want to do. It’s really impossible to describe the feeling that I felt when they said that. When people are putting aside everything, and deciding to come unto Christ, there is an amazing feeling of peace, which is the Spirit testifying of the divinity and truth that comes from their decisions.

I also got my cool looking scripture cases.  There is a lady in the mission who makes them out of leather.  They came faster than I thought and they turned out really good! I look forward to using them. I won’t be able to use the ones for my Spanish scriptures too often during my mission because they might get stolen, but I can use them for conferences and stuff like that. Here is a picture:




Overall I’m happy, healthy, and doing well. I feel like the more I learn about the Gospel, the more questions I have, and I realize how little I know and really how weak I am. But it’s like Mom said, God wants the small and weak things to preach his gospel (D&C 1:23). So I guess He got what He asked for with me.

Christ does live, and he loves each of us. He really does care, and when we go to him, he will show us his love. I have felt it. And I’ve seen others feel it as well.

Thanks for all of the love and support. I love you all, and hope that you have a good week!

Love,
Elder Chipman



No comments:

Post a Comment